- Summer Reading 2021
Summer Reading 2021 Basic Information:
- Starting May 18, readers can sign-up at Redstone.Beanstack.org and start tracking their minutes read online!
- The program is open to all ages and there are prizes for both kids and adults. We have starter prize packs to give away just for signing up!
- This summer’s theme is “Reading Colors your World!” and encourages readers to be creative, try new things, explore art, and find beauty in variety!
- All forms of reading count, whether a physical book, an e-book, listening to an audiobook, or just being read to!
- Starting June 1, kids can earn a different weekly prize just by visiting the library!
- The top 30 overall kid readers with the most minutes read will earn special prize packs. The top 10 adult readers will earn a prize pack as well! All prizes/packs are on display at the library and are available while supplies last.
- Program ends July 24. Top overall readers will be contacted by staff.
- Catalog, OverDrive, and Online Resources
Online Account (Web Login)
A library account is needed to access our online resources. To access your account online, you will use your Web login (the e-mail address provided at registration) and PIN. Once logged-in, you can place holds, renew items, and choose to opt-in to remember your checkout history.
OverDrive eBooks and eAudiobooks
OverDrive is the Army's Digital Medial Library and includes a huge selection of eBooks, eAudiobooks, and more. Overdrive uses the same web login and PIN as your library account. Check out the website for more information.
Other Online Resources
Other free resources include Mango Languages, Consumer Reports, and Learning Express test preparation. Some sites may require you to create a separate account. There are many more online resources including e-magazines, genealogy tools, financial information, and car repair accessible on our Online Resources page.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the Library?
The Family and MWR Library is located in Building 3323 on Redeye Rd off of Vincent Drive. We are less than one mile south of the Exchange/Commissary and three blocks north of the One Stop and Pershing Welcome Center.
Who can use the MWR Redstone Library?
The Library is open to nearly everyone in the Redstone Community who has an ID that grants access to post, including military personnel, civilians, retirees, contractors (including NASA, FBI, etc.) and military/retiree family members. MWR Membership cardholders are eligible for library access, but a Recreation Visitor Access Badge cardholder is not eligible.
What do I need in order to use the Library's services?
In order to checkout materials, use the Library computers, and/or access the Library's online services, you will need a Library account. A Library account can be set up at the MWR Redstone Library using the ID you use to access post (typically a Military ID or CAC). You must have your own ID that grants access to post to have your own account.
How long can I check out materials?
Books, audio books, magazines, and graphic novels can be checked out for three (3) weeks. There is no limit on the number of books that can be checked out. TV Series can be checked out for two (2) weeks. Movies and video games can be checked out for (1) week. The checkout limit on movies is 10 and one TV series counts as 3 movies. The limit on video games is 1 per account. All materials are eligible for renewals unless on hold for another patron.
How can I see what the library owns?
Our online catalog is available 24/7 to search for books, movies, audiobooks, video games, and eBooks.
I'd like to request an item that the Library does not own. How can I do this?
To request an item call the Library at +1 (256)876-4741 or come into the Library and we will fill out a request card for you. Book requests that cannot be filled through our vendors, can usually be filled through our Interlibrary Loan service (see below).
Does the Library have an Interlibrary Loan Service?
The Library offers an Interlibrary Loan (ILL) service to its patrons. This service allows the Redstone MWR Library to request books from other libraries, including but not limited to: other military libraries, public libraries, and college and university libraries. To request an ILL book, call +1(256)842-0994 or visit the Library.
Does the Library accept donations?
The Library is not currently accepting donations. However, we do have a free Book Exchange shelf where patrons can drop off items and pick up free items. Adding items to this Book Exchange is not tax deductible.
Does the Library offer any special collections?
The Library owns all titles on the Army Chief of Staff's Professional Reading List, a collection of books covering a range of topics from military affairs, politics, economics, and international issues. This collection is a supplement to the Library's general military collection.
The Library also maintains a Local Interest section that includes books and other materials published about Redstone Arsenal, Huntsville and surrounding areas, and the state of Alabama.
- Computers, Printing, and Internet (Currently Limited)
Computer Lab (Currently Limited)
- The computer lab has been reduced to three (3) CAC-enabled computers due to COVID precautions. A CAC is not required to use them.
- Patrons sign-up for a 60 minute session. When the session is over, they can renew for another 60 minute session as long as no one else is waiting. The renewal is not automatic, you must notify staff or you may be asked to give up your seat if someone is waiting.
- No phone calls are allowed in the computer lab without prior staff permission.
- Removable Media (USB/Flash Drives, CDs/DVDs) will not work on Library computers due to security protocols.
- Uniformed military personnel on official business or conducting training have waitlist priority and there is no time limit for those purposes.
- Users must have a library account and must sign-in on the computer lab sign-in sheet. Computers may be used by any patron age 18 or older. Younger patrons may use computers if supervised by a registered parent/guardian. Parents must accompany children in the lab.
Free wireless internet is available throughout the library. Please note this is an unsecure wireless network. There is no wireless printing.
Printing and Copying
Printing and copying are $0.10 per page for black and white, and $0.25 per page for color. Cash only. Printing is single-sided and limited to 100 sheets. Library printers and copiers use only library-supplied paper. For more extensive printing needs, try MWR's One Point Print Services.
Faxing and Scanning
Faxing and scanning services are currently available at the circulation desk. Faxing is $0.20 per page. Scanning is $0.10 per page and will arrive as a pdf document. Cash only. Limit for Faxing and Scanning is 25 pages per fax or scan.
The Redstone MWR Library is open!
In support of CDC and DOD guidance, fully vaccinated people, who are at least two weeks beyond their final dose, are no longer required to wear a mask indoors at Family and MWR Activities. Unvaccinated people should follow CDC and DOD guidelines and continue to wear a mask indoors.
The Redstone MWR Library is a general library open to the Arsenal community, including military personnel, civilians, retirees, contractors, and military/retiree family members.
The Library is open again for browsing! There is limited seating. The computer lab is also available but is at reduced capacity due to safety precautions. There is a delay in checking in returned items due to COVID quarantine requirements. The library does not have late fees and all email notices are automated.
We can create new library accounts for eligible patrons via email. If you need a new account or to update your account, please select "Email Us" under our Contact information.