- Hunting and Fishing
Please check OutdoorAlabama.com for seasons and bag limits
All firearms must be registered in advance for recreational use on Garrison property!
Redstone has implemented immediate registration of all firearms for recreational purposes. This applies to both individuals shooting skeet/trap, as well as those hunting wildlife.
To begin the process of registering your shotgun/black powder weapon for hunting, fill out the RSA Firearm Registration Form. (This has the required PII for the personal background check and the weapons information.) Bring the form directly to Provost/DES, Bldg. 3623, Gray Road. DES will then run the background check on the person and the firearms detailed, while performing the registration in COPS. The form will be returned to the customer. (form is located above)
[Normal guidance from the Alabama Criminal Justice Information Center (ACJIC) is that if you are running the serial number of an item (gun, rv, boat, etc), that item must be in your possession. This rule is to verify the serial number and ensures the ability to seize the item if it has been reported stolen or used in a crime. The ACJIC agreed to allow us an exception for our weapons registration procedure, but we had to assure them we'd do what was necessary to recover any weapon the database shows as stolen or used in a crime.]
The completed MSE-RED Form 2312 will be returned to the customer by DES. In addition, DES will issue a "Provost Marshals Office Redstone Arsenal Weapon Permit", which is valid for 14 months. This weapon permit will be used to declare shotguns/muzzleloaders at the gate.
Archery equipment including crossbows do not have to be registered with the Provost Marshall on post at this time. However, in order to bring all bows and crossbows onto post, the user must have an active access to post and a current "bow permit." Bow permits are issued at Outdoor Recreation during normal operating hours. This same permit must be used each time the bow is brought onto post by declaring the weapon at the gate.
FYI: The guards no longer accept hunting permits or trap/skeet/archery permits as declaration for firearms/black powder as of the 2013 hunting season. Hunting permits are sold only to those only with registered weapons.
For more information, call Outdoor Recreation at +1(256) 876-4868.
Items required to hunt on Redstone Arsenal (hunters must have items 1-4 before they can purchase a Redstone Permit)
Alabama State Hunting License
1. Alabama State Hunting License for appropriate game
2. Any State's Hunter Education Certificate (more information can be found regarding local classes at Outdoor Alabama)
3. Redstone Arsenal Hunting Orientation (Per garrison commander, everyone must attend class (see listing below). On-line renewals are no longer allowed.)
4. Redstone Arsenal Weapon Permit for all shotguns and muzzleloaders.
5. RSA Hunting Permit - $50.
All persons hunting on Redstone Arsenal must have completed a state-approved hunter education course. For information on courses offered in this area call 1-800-245-2740 (Education Co-coordinator).
Redstone Permit Fees: Redstone Hunting Permit - $50.
Redstone Arsenal Hunting Orientation will be offered on the following dates at 4:30 p.m. at Bldg. 3712 Constitution Dr. (Heiser Hall). Classes occur in the Fall around the end of August. Check back for our 2016 schedule.
This class is required for ALL hunters.
Three fishing areas remain on Redstone:
1. Carroll D. Hudson Recreation Area (open 7 days/week)
2. Easter Posey Recreation Area (open 7 days/week)
3. Bradford Sinks Pond (Must sign out through Outdoor Recreation on open weekend days)
All other ponds are closed, as they have been tested by the Environmental Management Division and found unsafe. For this reason, fishing is not allowed at Finance, Thiokol, and Area 48 North and South.
To fish on any of the above three areas on Redstone you must have the following: An Alabama State Fishing permit. No RSA Outdoor Recreation permit is required.
Bradford Sign-Out Procedures
On weekends, Bradford Sinks may be opened by Range Control. Call Outdoor Recreation on Fridays or view the Hunting Range Report to find out if they will be open that weekend. Each fisherman MUST sign out through ODR into the area; upon leaving the range, forms must be returned to ODR for review.
For your live bait needs, see the ODR Store. We now sell worms!!
- Trap and Skeet
All firearm weapons must be registered in advance for recreational use on Garrison property!
Our Trap and Skeet Range is located right next to us on Sportsman Drive and is available for the entire Redstone Community daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. We've got the lowest price in North Alabama: $5/round (25 birds). All firearms must be registered in advance for recreational use on Garrison property. For information, call +1(256) 876-4868 or +1(256) 876-6854.
- Equipment Rental and Pricing
Our Outdoor Recreation Program offers a long list of outdoor recreation equipment for rent at modest per-day rates. This is your one-stop rental facility for all your recreation needs.
OUTDOOR RECREATION REQUIRES THOSE RENTING A BOAT TO WATCH A 25 MINUTE BOATER SAFETY VIDEO PRIOR TO RENTAL. THIS VIDEO MAY BE VIEWED ANYTIME AT ODR. WE ARE OPEN 7 DAYS FROM 0930-1730.
IF YOU HAVE A VESSEL ENDORCEMENT ON YOUR ALABAM DRIVERS LICENSE ODR WAIVES THIS REQUIREMENT. PLEASE CALL ODR IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS. 256-876-6854/4868
Item Daily Weekly Tracker Super Guide 16' Bass Boat $95 $570 Pontoon Boats $180 $1080 Canoes $30 $180 Canoe Trailer (2, 6, and 8 canoe models) $15 $90 Camplite Travel Trailers $90 $540 Open Utility Trailers $25 $150 Closed Utility Trailers $30 $180 Dunking Booths $80 $480 Canopies 20x30 $50 $300 BBQ Grills or Smokers $50 $300
Softball Sets: 10 Gloves, 3 Bats & 3 Balls
Volleyball Sets: Net, Poles & 1 Ball
Cornhole(baggo) set: 2 platforms and 4 bags each color Lawn Darts
Disc Golf Sets, Horseshoe Sets, Bocce Set, Sports Balls, Ladder Ball Sets,
Ice Chests & Water Coolers
Miscellaneous Other Items
Item Price Trap and Skeet Shooting
(25 Birds/round:no guns or ammo provided)
$5/Round Ice (per Bag) $2 Propane Exchange Available
The RV and Boat Storage
Item Semi-Annually Annually Indoor Boat Storage
(Spaces hold boats and trailers
up to 21' in length)
$300 $600 Outdoor Boat & RV Storage
(No length restrictions. No POVS)
Mini Storage Units
Sizes Monthly Fees 5 x 10 $50 10 x 10 $60 20 x 10 $80
Pavillions and Classroom
Room Fee Wilderness Conference Room $75
RV Park and The Easter Posey Campground
Location Nightly Weekly
$25 $150 Easter Posey Campground $12 $72
- RV Park and Campground
Easter Posey Campground
Located along the Tennessee River on Shields Road. Each site (23 in total) is equipped with water and electricity. A sewage dump station is on the northwest corner of Buxton and Shields Road. You must register for a camp site at Outdoor Recreation Bldg. 5139 Sportsman Drive.
Are you looking for a military RV park with all the amenities? Would you like to walk your dog in a community based and neighbor friendly atmosphere? If so, we've got the RV Park created with you in mind.
We've just completed 28 more sites!! Our RV Park is located just off of Goss Road and has been a popular place for short term travelers to settle in. With a total of 70 pads, laundry facility, 2 bath houses, dog walk/play park, and pavilion. We are a popular destination for guests.
- 65' x 24' Paved Pull through full service pads
- Newer Laundromat & Bath House
- Rates: Nightly $20, Weekly $120
- **Beginning Oct 1 2019 our nightly rate will increase to $25 nightly, or $150 weekly
- Eligibility: Active Duty, Retirees, and DOD Civilians
- Reservations: Call for Availability
Note - Before making a reservation, please ensure you have the ability to access Redstone Arsenal in order to use this facility.
ATTENTION: MWR will attempt to keep you in one site. However, depending on your time at Redstone Arsenal you may have to move sites during your stay with us.
On I-565, take exit 14 toward Gate 9/Redstone Arsenal heading south - go 1.2 miles (clearing the gate and inspection in a right lane; then moving to the left-most lane after the gate) Turn left at the first light (Goss Road). After going straight for approximately 1/4 mile, follow the road as it turns north and runs along the golf course. Continue on the road as it turns right. Follow Goss Road straight, heading east for 1.9 miles. Turn right onto Vincent Drive - 0.5 miles Take right onto Spartan Drive - 0.2 miles. Take right to Nike Street - 381 feet. Follow signs to the RV Park Entrance.
GPS Coordinates: 34.691909
Reservations may be made up to ninety calendar days in advance, to make a reservation please call us at +1(256)876-4868 or +1(256) 876-6854. Reservations will be accepted based on availability. Our maximum length of stay is sixty days. As this is a military post, make sure you have access to base before calling for a reservation.
- RV, Boat & Mini Storage
The MWR Storage Office is located in Bldg 5139 Sportsman Drive
Let us help you store your items in the safest place in North Alabama. We provide indoor, outdoor, and mini storage on Redstone Arsenal.
Mini storage units come in a variety of sizes, including 10' x 10' units, 10' x 20' units, and 5'x 10' units. These storage units are individual locking units with rolling overhead doors, complete with full perimeter fencing, and feature the latest digital pass code entry for peace of mind.
We can also provide secure outdoor storage for your boat, camper, RV, trailer, or whatever type of recreational vehicle you might have. There is a special section provided especially for Active Duty service members who reside on Redstone Arsenal. If your boat with trailer is 21’ in length or less, we have indoor storage facilities that can accommodate you.
All storage allows 24-hour access, how's that for convenience?
Mini-storage rental rates
Size Price 5 x 10 $50 Month 10 x 10 $60 Month 10 x 20 $80 month
Outdoor storage rental rates
Cost Semi-Annual/Annual $210 Semi-Annual $420 Annual
Indoor boat storage rental rates
Cost Semi-Annual/Annual $300 Semi-Annual $600 Annual
Call the Outdoor Storage Office at +1(256) 842-7540 with any additional questions and to check availability.
Our storage facility is open to:
- Active Duty
- Current Civilian Federal employees & NASA
- Retired/Reserve/National Guard Military Members
- Contractors & NASA
- Retired Civilian Federal employees & NASA
- Picnic Areas
We have three parks to choose from -- one of which would be great to have outdoor events or special programs throughout the year. Park reservations must be made in person at Outdoor Recreation, 5139 Sportsman Drive. Reservations are free and can be made up to 90 days in advance.
Please Note for Tenant Orginazations requesting Pavilions for their Org Days the Reservation may be made 180 days before the event.
Picnic areas are open from 8 a.m. - 10 p.m.
- Carroll D. Hudson Recreation Area - Facilities offered include: boat launch, fishing, picnic grounds, playground, rentable pavilions, softball facilities, sand volleyball court, basketball court, Path to Nature Trail and building, The Cliffs at Redstone.
- Easter Posey Recreation Area - Facilities offered include: campgrounds picnic area, boat launch, playground, basketball court, softball field, fishing, and a pavilion that can be rented.
- Vincent Park - Facilities offered include: swimming pool, sand volleyball court, softball field, basketball court, playground, disc golf, horseshoe pits, and a pavilion that can rented.
- Other Outdoor Recreation Services/Activities
- Area Maps
- Redstone Reminders/FAQs
- Before coming in for your permit, all firearms and pellet rifles you intend to hunt with must be registered at Redstone DES (archery not required)
- Cell phone numbers on record are imperative and are required to hunt on Redstone. If your number changes even for a day please indicate it on your dash placard and contact ORC staff +1(256)876-4868
- Always declare your weapon at the gate and present your hunting permit with your ID
- Dash placard must be filled out completely and placed on your dash in plain view before heading into the woods
- Please, if at all possible, parallel park on the side of the road you are hunting. Backing and nosing into the tree lines makes it difficult for authorities to identify you as a non threat.
- If the road doesn't have a name, park and walk into the area. Do not make your own path, avoid blocking gates
- Remember the three R's if you encounter a possible UXO...
Recognize, Retreat and Report to DES +1(256)876-2222
- A cap and vest with a minimum of 500 square inches is required during Deer and Turkey season. They can be removed when you've climbed into a tree or enter a blind.
- Scouting is permitted during daylight hours only. Those wishing to scout will process through Outdoor Recreation.
- Scouting and dog training ends once archery season starts. If you want to learn Redstone take up squirrel hunting.
- Game cameras are forbidden on post, so please leave them at home
- All hunters will observe a minimum of 300 feet from buildings, main roads and Redstone boundaries
- Any type of bait or attractant, to include salt and mineral rocks is strictly prohibited
- No more than 4 dogs in the field at a time. If you are separated from your beloved dog and you must give up the search notify ORC and the Game Warden.
- Hunters will not enter another area in "Hot Pursuit" without changing areas with HUNTRAC and clearing their movements with the Game Warden
- Take ground blinds and tree stands with you at the end of your hunt, areas close without warning and it could be a long wait to retrieve your belongings
- Guest and dependants under 18 yrs must be accompanied by their sponsors and remain in the same hunting area
- Many hunting areas change from gun to archery on weekdays, pay attention to the "Weapons Allowed" section of your dash placard before choosing an area.
- If you have harvested an antlered deer or a turkey, you must record it on your harvest sheet before you can move or field dress. All harvested game must be recorded at ORC before you leave post.
- The game shed is there for your use but you must clean up after yourself. A visit from post health and safety can shut it down
- All hunters must clear HUNTRAC by 30 minutes past sunset. If you're tracking an animal or "Just haven't made it out of the woods yet," ORC still needs to hear from you to make arrangements. Staff will not leave until everyone is accounted for.
- HUNTRAC is a 24 hour call in system. Please keep in mind that Active Duty have and deserve priority until 1800 each day then other statuses. If you are not Active Duty and have called into the system prior to your allotted time, you will be contacted by the Game Warden
- There is no hunting or scouting on Tuesdays or Wednesdays!
- Cottages at Redstone
Family and MWR offers five one-story cottages nestled on a forested cul-de-sac. Each unit is 1,200 square feet, and features three bedrooms, a living room, dining room, kitchen, two bathrooms, sun room, laundry room and private patio. For more information visit The Cottages at Redstone.
Hours of Operation
|Tuesday||9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Thursday||9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Friday||9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
|Saturday||9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.|
Outdoor Recreation provides diverse opportunities throughout the year for our customers. These activities include opportunities to participate in and enjoy the great outdoors. With the warm Alabama weather, individuals can indulge in personalized skeet lessons, camping, fishing, hunting, canoeing, and enjoying other outdoor adventures. Building #5139 houses equipment rental, hunting/fishing operations, a private conference room, ladies and men’s locker rooms, and management offices. We have the perfect items for your unit organizational day, backyard party, or weekend recreational getaway.
The emphasis in Outdoor Recreation is on skill development and opportunities to acquire lifetime leisure abilities. Outdoor Recreation specialists are available to assist customers with various activities such as camping, canoeing, boating, fishing, hunting, and so much more!!
Trap and Skeet
OPENED 29 APRIL
Trap and Skeet Hours of Operation:
7 Days per week 9:30 a.m.- 5:15 p.m.
WE HAVE ADDED 5-STAND TO THE FIELD AND A 300 METER SLUG RANGE. THANK YOU!
Our Trap and Skeet Range is located right next to us on Sportsman Drive and is available for the entire Redstone Community daily from 9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. We've got the lowest price in North Alabama. Trap or Skeet: $5/round (25 birds). 5-Stand: $8/round (25 Birds) All firearms must be registered in advance for recreational use on Garrison property. For information, call +1(256) 876-4868 or +1(256) 876-6854.
Hunting - General
2019-2020 Redstone Arsenal Hunting Orientation Classes
THURSDAYS at 4:30. Heiser Hall 3712 Patton Road
29 Aug, 3 Oct, 7 Nov
SATURDAYS at 1030. Outdoor Recreation 5139 Sportsman Drive
31 Aug, 5 Oct, 2 Nov, 21 Dec
For updated state regulations and seasons --- please visit Outdoor Alabama
Open to active duty and retired military, reservists, DoD civilians, and contractor employees serving 40 hours per week. Active Duty Military for Redstone have priority on weekends. Active Duty Military must have a current Alabama driver's license or a copy of PCS orders assigning them to Alabama in order to purchase a resident Alabama Hunting/Fishing License.
All hunters must show proof of completion of a state-certified hunter education course prior to purchasing his/her Arsenal Hunting Permit.
We are selling redworms and nightcrawlers for $4.00 a tub.